The Federal Building is the third home for the Hall of Champions. In 1959, Robert Breitbard arranged for space in Balboa Park and established the Hall of Champions as a non-profit sports museum. The first home opened in 1961 in the House of Charm at the southwest corner of the park.
The second Balboa Park home for the Hall of Champions was Casas de Balboa when it opened in 1983. But San Diego’s sports history soon outgrew the facility, prompting a move to its grandest home when refurbishing of the historic Federal Building was completed in 1999.